Willing to work for Samba GSOC 2011 ideas(George)

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sun Mar 27 15:27:41 MDT 2011

Hi Georges,

I'm one of the proposed mentor for the GPO implementation and I guess
it's more or less my proposal.

Most of the GPO are targeted to alter the behavior of the client
(workstation, server, domain controller) but some are not: Server side GPO.
Server side GPO as I called them are GPO (Group POlicies) that are
targeted for active directory database of DCs (Domain Controllers) and
that most of the time result in a change in the sam database where all
the objects of the Active Directory domain are stored.

The example I always gave is the number of days for password validity,
by default it's 42 (;-). With gpmc.msc (you need the administration
tools for windows server, it's "free") you can set the entry: Computer
Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Account
Policies -> Password Policy -> Maximum password age and it sets the
maxPwdAge to -36288000000000 on root DN of the domain (the one that's
stats with DC=) after you wait for the gpo to be reread by the DC (or if
you force it with gpupdate /force).

The value is stored in GptTmpl.inf in
\\domain.tld\SYSVOL\domain.tld\Policies\{id_policy}\MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\SecEdit.

We expect to have the same behavior with samba4 that is to say when you
edit with gpmc.msc this entry you expect within a couple of minutes to
have the attribute changed as well on a samba4 DC.

The goal is to implement server side GPO so that setting those GPO would
effectively alter the sam database.
This project is rated medium in difficulty, if I was about to implement
it I would do the following:

1) create an as exhaustive as it can be list of server side GPO
(password age, password length, password complexity, ...)
2) create a task in samba4 with a timeout of x seconds, take inspiration
on the task that is doing the dns record update
3) make the task look for the different files known to hold serverside
GPO (there is GptTmpl.inf for sure) in the different GPO directories.
4) for each file extract the parameters that needs to be set in the sam
database
5) for each parameter, update the sam if needed

Step 2 is in C for sure, steps 4-5 could be done in python as it is our
language for scripting (usually scripting is quicker than pure C in
terms of "time to product") as we have already some helpers in python to
set some of this parameters (in samba-tool) so we can do some code reuse.

 From my point of view the project will be considered as fulfilled if
for a given set of settings in GPMC they are automatically updated. Then
there is subtlety that would be nice to have like taking care of the
priority and whether or not the GPO is enabled and maybe some other
stuff that we will discover.

Concerning your skills, I guess it's ok as a lot of things can be done
by duplicating/adapting code that has already be done for similar
things, with the description that I made it's more up to you to see how
you feel with the project.

As for login/logout there is another student willing to work on this so
I would say that it's better if you can do the GPO ;-).

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org