Regedit like GUI

Joseph Lewis joehms22 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 09:46:26 MDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in working for you during GSOC, and this project struck my
fancy:

Create a GUI like regedit

The idea is to have a frontend like "regedit" to edit a registry on remote
machines. The easiest way would be to write such a GUI in python using pyQt
and the Samba4 winreg python bindings.
http://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=source4/scripting/python/examples/winreg.py;h=80b48ecfd7894022202b60173c28a9775d9d7daf;hb=master
Difficulty: Easy
Language(s): Python
Possible mentors: Jelmer Vernooij and Andreas Schneider

I've worked with pyGTK, wxPython, and Tcl/Tk before so learning and
implementing pyQt shouldn't be that difficult.  The project itself seems
fairly straightforward, but I think it could benefit if you could import
.reg files from the local machine, and possibly save all changes to a local
.reg file that could then be used to apply the changes to multiple computers
(almost like macros).  I also believe that a number of default "favorites"
could be quite handy, and or auto generating favorites from commonly used
keys, what do you think?

Thanks,
   Joe

--
Public Key: [0xF8462E1593141C16]<http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xF8462E1593141C16>

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system
which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
- NASA