Regedit like GUI

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Mar 24 09:56:17 MDT 2011

Hi Joseph,

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 09:46 -0600, Joseph Lewis wrote:
> I'm interested in working for you during GSOC, and this project struck my
> fancy:
>
> Create a GUI like regedit
>
> The idea is to have a frontend like "regedit" to edit a registry on remote
> machines. The easiest way would be to write such a GUI in python using pyQt
> and the Samba4 winreg python bindings.
> http://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=source4/scripting/python/examples/winreg.py;h=80b48ecfd7894022202b60173c28a9775d9d7daf;hb=master
> Difficulty: Easy
> Language(s): Python
> Possible mentors: Jelmer Vernooij and Andreas Schneider
>
> I've worked with pyGTK, wxPython, and Tcl/Tk before so learning and
> implementing pyQt shouldn't be that difficult.  The project itself seems
> fairly straightforward, but I think it could benefit if you could import
> .reg files from the local machine, and possibly save all changes to a local
> .reg file that could then be used to apply the changes to multiple computers
> (almost like macros).  I also believe that a number of default "favorites"
> could be quite handy, and or auto generating favorites from commonly used
> keys, what do you think?
I'm not sure how current this project is anymore, during the last summer
of code another student worked on gregedit, which is part of Samba-GTK.
This seems to work reasonably well.

Are there perhaps any other projects you're interested in?

Unfortunately I don't have access to the wiki at the moment :-/ Could
somebody with access to the wiki perhaps clean out some of the obsolete
projects?

Cheers,

Jelmer