[ANNOUNCE] Samba 4.0 alpha 16

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 24 07:32:09 MDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 14:15 +0300, Andrew Shinkarchuck wrote:
> 2011/6/24 Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
>
> > We are proud to a announce another alpha release of Samba 4, alpha 16.
> >

> Andrew, pay attention, please:
>
> "Previous releases" and "Upcoming releases" chapters in Samba4 wiki page (
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4#Previous_releases) points to the last
> shipped release 4.0.0alpha14 and upcoming release 4.0.0alpha15, meantime
> 4.0.0alpha16 was shipped today.
>
> Are you interested to fix this?

Anyone with wiki access is free to fix this, otherwise I'll get to it early next week.

> Samba4 alpha16 is not a final Samba release, however we are now making
> > good progress towards a Samba 4.0 release, of which *this is a preview.*
> >

> Does it mean that next upcoming Samba4 release will be named in other way
> that 4.0.0alpha17?

You are reading more into my wording here than I indented.  All Samba
4.0 alpha releases are a preview of the final 4.0 release, but I do
believe we are getting closer.

The team will announce the time-line and process for an actual 4.0
release in due time, presumably with pre and rc releases like 3.6 has
had.  In the meantime our Samba4 production users and dependent projects
benefit from alpha releases, which is why this was made.