Proposed paths for Samba 4.0

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Mon Jun 20 09:51:42 MDT 2011

Am 15.06.2011 11:35, schrieb Stefan (metze) Metzmacher:
> Hi Andrew,
>
>> Attached is a patch to implement a new set of default paths for Samba
>> 4.0
>>
>> The challenge here is that the Samba4 branch historically chose a
>> different set of default paths to the release branches, and this needs
>> to be resolved before we release Samba 4.0
>>
>> The approach I have taken is:
>>
>>  - Users who install from source should keep key files in the same
>> places as 3.6
>>  - except for config files which are moved from lib/ to etc/
>>  - all the key paths can be configured, so distributions can put things
>> in the right place
>>
>> In doing this, I've removed --with-fhs as it didn't seem to work very
>> well (used on it's own, it produces paths under /usr/local/samba/, and
>> even combined with --prefix=/usr it created paths like /usr/etc
>> and /usr/var
>
> I'm using
>
>         --prefix=$DESTDIR/usr \
>         --sysconfdir=$DESTDIR/etc \
>         --localstatedir=$DESTDIR/var \
>         --enable-fhs \
>
> and I guess that matches mostly what distros are using.
>
> I think we should try to keep it that simple
> and hope that distros start to use the same.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, this means I'm using --enable-fhs and
I want to keep using that option!

Please readd it, I want a simple option that makes sure
I'm using 'samba' subdirectories.

Removing this options means users have to think about all possible pathes
and specify them explicitly, which is ugly (at least for me).

metze