smb2 proto max request size...?

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Tue Jun 14 11:49:06 MDT 2011

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Linda,
>
>> Seeing SMB2 in my 3.6.0-rc2 now (had to either re-login, or re-boot Win7
>> client, knowing win, probably reboot did it).
>>
>> I am getting better performance however, while my max read request
>> in SMB was 61440 (60k), it's now 65536...a bit better...(overall traffic
>> is lower, so that is probably a major part of the improvement), but I'm
>> not seeing any 1mb packets when I 'should' be'...(i.e. large (GB) files).
>>

>> FWI: my smb.conf...
>>
>> As I understand it, the aio sizes are for a minimum size before using
>> 'aio'....  I explicitly set max xmit to 1M, though this is listed as the
>> default for smb2....
>
> We only support SMB 2.002 yet, which doesn't support multi-credit requests.
> So Windows clients doesn't use 1M requests.
>
> metze

----
	Then what do all these statements mean in the smb.conf manpage?
	Is the man page (from the 3.6.0-rc2 manpage) inconsistent with the
code that is being released?

-----

       smb2 max credits (G)

           This option controls the maximum number of outstanding simultaneous
           SMB2 operations that Samba tells the client it will allow. This is
           similar to the max mux parameter for SMB1. You should never need to
           set this parameter.

           The default is 128 credits, which is the same as a Windows SMB2
           server.

           Default: smb2 max credits = 128

       smb2 max read (G)

           This option specifies the protocol value that smbd(8) will return
           to a client, informing the client of the largest size that may be
           returned by a single SMB2 read call.

           The default is 1048576 bytes (1MB), which is the same as a Windows7
           SMB2 server.

           Default: smb2 max read = 1048576

       smb2 max trans (G)

           This option specifies the protocol value that smbd(8) will return
           to a client, informing the client of the largest size of buffer
           that may be used in querying file meta-data via QUERY_INFO and
           related SMB2 calls.

           The default is 1048576 bytes (1MB), which is the same as a Windows7
           SMB2 server.

           Default: smb2 max trans = 1048576

       smb2 max write (G)

           This option specifies the protocol value that smbd(8) will return
           to a client, informing the client of the largest size that may be
           sent to the server by a single SMB2 write call.

           The default is 1048576 bytes (1MB), which is the same as a Windows7
           SMB2 server.

           Default: smb2 max write = 1048576