Samba 4.0 wishlist

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jun 11 03:21:56 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 23:39 -0600, Trever L. Adams wrote:

> Nice to have:
> NTP signing non-blocking

This is a question for the NTP project.  It should be quite practical to
have NTP contact Samba in a non-blocking fashion if someone wishes to
make that happen.

> Ability to set all the name fields, etc. from samba-tool or the like.

See ldbedit.  pdbedit may also work by the time we do a release, but to
change arbitary ldap attributes, use an LDAP editor.

> As for Samba 3.6, I am afraid I am late in this cycle, but I would love
> to see something like S4's samba_dnsupdate that actually works (net ads
> dns is currently broken, at least in samba-3.5.8-68.fc15.1.x86_64 et al)
> that works whether it actually is a server or just a client. (Sorry for
> being late on this, I keep forgetting to file a bug report.)

You will need to supply more details than this, preferably in a bug
report.  Please also test against Samba 3.6.0rc1 as we have already
fixed some issues here.

Samba4's samba_dnsupdate isn't anything particularly special: it's a
wrapper around nsupdate...