A Samba 4.0 alpha 16 next week?

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Fri Jun 10 05:24:21 MDT 2011

On 10/06/2011 09:39, Trever L. Adams wrote:
> On 06/09/2011 11:21 PM, Luk Claes wrote:
>> AFAICT it's used in production environments, it's quite stable, but it
>> still misses functionality to call it a final release.
>>
>> Isn't it about time to call it a beta?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Luk
>>
> I know my opinion counts very little, but I think the following MUST be
> added before calling it a beta:
> CIFS (the ability to do symlinks)
Well the current part of the file server of samba4 will be replaced by
the part that is currently in samba 3.
So if it's working in samba 3 currently it will be ok in a Samba 4.0
release.

> The things that must be done before calling it complete:
> Full Trust Support (including documentation to do it for Samba only domains)
Not sure it will be in a 4.0
> Full Forrest Support (including all of the sub domains, etc., and
> documentation to create it in all Samba)
This has 90% of not being in a 4.0 release, of course patches to
implement it are welcome :-)
> Printing (I am sure others want it, although my setups don't use Windows
> printing even on Windows... it is all IPP).
Same remark as file server part.
> Nice to have:
> NTP signing non-blocking
Well we will have a fairly good amount of fun implementing multi domain
forest and sysvol/netlogon replication. So that's maybe not for 4.0
> Ability to set all the name fields, etc. from samba-tool or the like.
> Use 2008R2 unix extensions for storing UID/GID information... or at
> least have them synched S4<->S4 (whether client or server).
The uid/gid stuff should be supported by winbind so it _should_ work
more or less.

> I am sure I have missed a lot of what others want/need. This is just the
> list I need.
>
> As for Samba 3.6, I am afraid I am late in this cycle, but I would love
> to see something like S4's samba_dnsupdate that actually works (net ads
> dns is currently broken, at least in samba-3.5.8-68.fc15.1.x86_64 et al)
> that works whether it actually is a server or just a client. (Sorry for
> being late on this, I keep forgetting to file a bug report.)

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org