winbind -- needs well-known SIDs? & workstation missing....

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Sat Jul 30 14:07:31 MDT 2011

Originally sent to the users list, but I suppose it is a bit on
the technical side...

I've never seen any mention of a requirement for adding wellknown sids
to my DB..., but it seems they are getting looked up there.

Is that behavior by design??

Would it be imprudent to add such values?  I.e. I'm thinking of
doing so, only because, if they are being looked up there, I
then instead of getting a non-mapped and whoever is querying having to
look elsewhere, they could get the answer back immediately.

Since they are 'well-known-sids', I'm guessing by some behaviors I've
observed, that if it can't find them on the server, it will use local lookups.

But that leads me to the reason for wanting to have them on the
smb server:   when I look up well known sids when modifying
access lists, for ones that I don't have entries for on the server,
it takes 1-3 seconds to timeout and return a local value, whereas
entries that exist on the server come back almost instantly.

As I'm seeing many lookups of this type in the logs, (several within a few
seconds of each other), I'm guessing this slows down client operations --
so is this 'normal' behavior?

-----
also, 2nd issue maybe unrelated, but why would the server not know
about a workstation joined to it's domain (it's listed when I
do a 'net sam list workstations')....?