Proposed paths for Samba 4.0

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 12 16:17:00 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 18:16 +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> On 23/06/11 11:06, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> >> Here's my branch...
> >>
> >> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=metze/samba/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master4-dynconfig
> >>
> >> I'll send some more details about it later...
> > Thanks,
> >
> > I look forward to seeing the details.
> >
> > One concern that I have is that we are back to having
> > users/distributions able to specify very many individual paths.
> >
> > If we want uniform behaviour from our users and distributors, then it
> > would be worth reducing the number of things that they can set, and that
> > we have to test.  That's why I did --with-sockets-dir for example, which
> > allows us to add more sockets without adding more parameters that
> > distributions have to keep up with.
>
> I understand your point, but the most common types of patches I've seen
> by packagers are to modify paths.
>
> You can't actually reduce the number of paths that can be set when the
> source is available; but you can reduce the amount of control you have
> over how well it's done by taking away the easy options.

I think metze's patch provides the ideal compromise in this situation.

By reducing the number of options that need to be set, and trying to
make them a small, reasonable set to start with, we discourage adding
additional paths.  But all the important paths for Samba are in that
table, and so patches to change particular paths will hopefully be
neither intrusive nor extensive.