samba4 and libdlz_bind9.so

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Wed Jul 6 14:06:23 MDT 2011

> Hi everyone,
>
> Yesterday I tried to set up the libdlz dns using information gather on
> the internet and some grep'ing on the source code, mainly those three
> three pages :
> * http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO
> * http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-May/162438.html
> * http://blog.tridgell.net/?p=122
>
> I have a few years of experience with samba3 PDC and dns using bind
> with sdb ldap backend, and I'd love to upgrade this kind of setup to
> samba4 + dlz.
>
> I've setup a samba4 alpha16 on a debian squeeze. The
> /usr/local/samba/lib/samba/libdlz_bind9.so module is compiled along.
> Then I installed from source bind9.8P4 with --with-dlz-dlopen flag.
>
> Samba4 is started first, then bind9 is kicking in with verbose mode
> and it tells me that the samba DLZ modules is loaded. That seems fine.
>
> 06-Jul-2011 09:46:53.633 Loading 'tranquilit.local' using driver dlopen
> 06-Jul-2011 09:46:53.633 Loading SDLZ driver.
> Unknown parameter encountered: "announce as"
> Ignoring unknown parameter "announce as"
> 06-Jul-2011 09:46:54.048 samba_dlz: started for DN DC=tranquilit,DC=local
> 06-Jul-2011 09:46:54.049 SDLZ driver loaded successfully.
> 06-Jul-2011 09:46:54.049 DLZ driver loaded successfully.
> 06-Jul-2011 09:46:54.049 samba_dlz: starting configure
>
> However I'm not very sure how to and where to create the dns zone. I'm
> have the cn=MicrosoftDNS,cn=System,dc=tranquilit,dc=local with the
> RootDNSServers entries. I've found the corresponding ldif script in
> the samba source code for provising, but nothing about creating the
> DNS zone for binddlz.
>
> Should I copy it from an existing MS AD? How can I debug the libdlz to
> be sure that the libdlz module is called (like a slapd -d 320) and to
> see which ldap call it is making?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Denis

Currently Kai Blin is working on a modified provision script which would
load the DNS data into AD, his tree is at:
http://git.samba.org/?p=kai/samba.git;a=summary, after that someone,
perhaps you or perhaps me could easily write a zone2ad python script, to
load existing data into AD for use with samba4's dlz dlopen.

Cheers

Geza