[Release Planning 3.6] Samba 3.6.0pre2

Karolin Seeger kseeger at samba.org
Sun Jan 30 10:10:51 MST 2011

Hi Andrew,

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 08:20:59AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> If we were to make a 3.6.0pre2 release in the soon, can you suggest what
> the release dates and remind me what the rules would be?

the release date depends on the idmapping discussion. I think it does not
make sense to do more pre releases while discussing general changes for
this major release.

> The reason I ask is that I've looked but couldn't find the guide for
> what changes are acceptable when, and 3.6 is currently being developed
> in master.  That is, v3-6-test is getting all the changes from master,
> bar changes only in source4/, to make cherry-pick easier.
>
> This is great for ensuring we don't miss features in master that enter
> 3.6, but I've been asked to avoid making changes in master that would
> make 3.6 development more difficult while it is still in open
> development, and I need to understand what impact that would have.
>
> That is: when in the release cycle will 3.6 be locked down?

When the first release candidate is out, the v3-6-test branch will be
locked and patches will be accepted with according bug reports only.
I guess we will ship at least 2 more pre releases, so it will take several
weeks before preparing rc1.

Until the first rc, you can commit everything you like to the branch.
There is no policy. Of course, new features should be well tested and
documented and backwards compatibility should be considered.
It might happen that one ore more developers veto a certain
patch(set), but from my point of view, there is no policy at all up to
now.

Cheers,
Karolin

--