The RPC server is unavailable

Scott Carradice jscottc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 11:57:53 MST 2011

So I gave up with the previous try and started from scratch.

This time my samba version is: 4.0.0alpha15-GIT-932911e

My OS Version is OpenSuse 11.3 64bit

I use the Samba4 Howto as a guide.  ( I mostly follow this but I do
set up bind from scratch and it works other then the problems I
mention.  )

Once I have it set up I join a Windows 7 machine and it works well.
It gets added to the dns zone file.

I install the remote administration toos for windows and use the
"Active Directory Users and Computers" to add users.  This works well
and all users are able to log in to windows.

Users when logged in to windows can change their password ( I used
samba-tool pwsettings set --min-pwd-age=0 to get around previous
problems ).

I then install OpenSuse 11.3 64 bit on a third machine and during
install I select to get users from Windows Domain.  This works and
users created before can log in.  The dns entries do NOT get added to
the zone files.  I can do this manually but I expect there is a
problem here.

Also a problem I forgot about last time and was forced to remember
this time was to do with python.  During the install it puts python
files in two places /usr/local/samba/lib and lib64.  To get tools like
samba_dnsupate to work, I had to copy all files in lib64 to lib.  This
may be where I am breaking things but I believe that the remote admin
tools were still working after I did this.  Is there a correct switch
or setting to get python to install all in one place?

Anyway I came back to day to find the same RPC error:
"Naming information cannot be located because:  The RPC server is
unavailable. Contact your system administrator ..."

Running samba using the command:
samba -i -M single -d 3 reports the following when the above error occurs.

using SPNEGO
Selected protocol [5][NT LM 0.12]
Terminating connection - 'ldapsrv_call_loop: tstream_read_pdu_blob_recv() -
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_ DISCONNECTED'
single_terminate: reason[ldapsrv_call_loop: tstream_read_pdu_blob_recv() -
NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED]

Is there a way for me to help determine what is not working correctly here?