Request for clarification regarding the dialect used in CIFS and SMBFS.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Jan 19 06:50:05 MST 2011

Nilesh,

Regarding the "Samba" dialect, my book says: "It doesn't appear to be used
any more (if, indeed, it ever was)."

I wrote that book, and much of the protocol specification published by
Microsoft.  There is no "Samba" dialect.  It's just a name added to the list
of dialects.  It is never "selected" as the dialect to use by any server.

Which SMBFS are you using?  The old (outdated and deprecated) Linux version
or the BSD version or some other version?  I believe that the "Samba" name
may have been removed from the BSD SMBFS client.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org