Request for clarification regarding the dialect used in CIFS and SMBFS.

nilesh nilesh.tayade at netscout.com
Tue Jan 18 23:58:42 MST 2011

Hi,

I am looking at the packets captured for both SMBFS and CIFS. Also
referred http://ubiqx.org/cifs/SMB.html#SMB.6

As per the document, when we use SMBFS it should use the SAMBA dialect.
But I looked at the packet traces and in both the cases (SMBFS and
CIFS), it uses "NT LM 0.12". Could someone please clarify why it shows
this behaviour? Isn't it supposed to use SAMBA in case of SMBFS?

P.S. Please copy me in the reply, as I am not subscribed to the list.

--
Thanks,
Nilesh