mapping SYNCHRONIZE permission in NTFS ACL for ZFS

J. Bruce Fields bfields at fieldses.org
Thu Jan 13 08:10:05 MST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 08:17:53PM -0800, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
>
> > That sounds like a ZFS bug to me....  I've verified in the past that
> > their NFSv4 server always set SYCHRONIZE by default--I suppose that could
> > have been a hack in their NFSv4 server, or they could have changed the
> > behavior since then.  Either would be strange.
>
> Hmm, I don't know what it used to do, but we've used the NFSv4 server on
> top of zfs since Solaris 10 update 6, and I've never seen the sync bit set
> unless there was a windows box involved via samba... I'm not sure what the
> in-kernel CIFS server does under OpenSolaris/Solaris Express.

Huh.  I still have my test results.  Looking back at them, I see that it
always returned an ACL ending in an allow EVERYONE@ entry including
the synchronize bit.

That was several years ago, though, and come to think of it that *may*
have been some translation layer on top of UFS at the time, instead of
ZFS....

Still, I doubt leaving synchronize unset is what they intended, so it
might be worth reporting as a bug if you think it would get any
attention.

--b.