steps for upgradeprovision with multiple DCs

Aaron Solochek aarons-samba at aberrant.org
Tue Jan 11 12:27:25 MST 2011

On 01/11/2011 02:17 PM, Taylor, Jonn wrote:

> On 01/11/2011 12:39 PM, Aaron Solochek wrote:
>> On 01/11/2011 11:42 AM, Aaron Solochek wrote:
>>> At some point someone sent explicit instructions (that is, the actual commands)
>>> for manually removing a secondary DC from the sam so upgradeprovision would run.
>>>  I can't find those.  Can someone please tell me what those are?
>>>
>>> Then after I run upgradeprovision on the master, what do I want to do on the
>>> backup DC to sync it and rejoin it?
>>>

>>> I'm doing this with the git master samba4.  I've given up on the debs since they
>>> don't actually make anything easier, and it's too difficult debug other problems
>>> when I can't identify what version I'm actually running.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> -Aaron
>>>
>> Ok, I finally found the steps, but I'm getting this error if I do a --full
>>
>> Exception during upgrade of samdb:
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/local/sbin/upgradeprovision", line 1102, in update_partition
>>     provisionUSNs, names.invocation)
>>   File "/usr/local/sbin/upgradeprovision", line 864, in update_present
>>     curval = current[0].get(att, ())
>> TypeError: function takes exactly 1 argument (2 given)
>> Update failed
>> Rolling back all changes. Check the cause of the problem
>>

>> Thoughts?
>>
>> -Aaron
>
> I had the same problem. According to the dev team you should need to run
> the upgrade script for all upgrades. If you are running an older alpha14
> release and are upgrading to git master you can just remove all old bin
> and lib files and then do a make install. See my post about samba 4
> upgrade problem.
>
> Jonn

Do you have a specific date/time for the start of that thread?  I found a couple
of things that seem unrelated.  The one post I saw on 2011-01-05 has a response
from someone saying it was a bug in the upgradeprovision script and they were
pushing a fix to git.  I should have that already.

Also, I deleted all my binaries before building in case it would try to use old
libraries.

upgradeprovision --version
4.0.0alpha15-GIT-4f305f4