Adding machine to domain crashes LDAP (smbldap-useradd)

Chris Beach chrisb at pintys.com
Tue Jan 11 08:39:27 MST 2011

Hmm, it still crashes with the command:

*/usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -W "fs5c1l1$"*
*failed to add entry: Unexpected EOF at /usr/sbin//smbldap_tools.pm line
616.
failed to add entry: Can't contact LDAP server at /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd
line 386.*

Line 616 of smbldap_tools.pm is blank, so I assume it's the code just before
it:

    # bind to a directory with dn and password
    my $add = $ldap->add(
        "uid=$user,$config{computersdn}",
        attr => [

#'objectclass' => ['top', 'person', 'organizationalPerson', 'inetOrgPerson',
'posixAccount'],
            'objectclass' => [ 'top', 'account', 'posixAccount' ],
            'cn'          => "$user",

            #'sn'   => "$user",
            'uid'           => "$user",
            'uidNumber'     => "$uid",
            'gidNumber'     => "$gid",
            'homeDirectory' => '/dev/null',
            'loginShell'    => '/bin/false',
            'description'   => 'Computer',
            'gecos'         => 'Computer',
        ]
    );

line 616 is here (blank).

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11 January 2011 16:57, Chris Beach <chrisb at pintys.com> wrote:
> > I apologize if this shouldn't be posted on the samba mailing list, I
> figured
> > it's more appropriate here then LDAP, but maybe not.
> >
> > When I try and add a machine to my Domain (just upgraded the domain
> > controller to samba 3.3.14, with LDAP 2.3.43 as back-end) it crashes
> LDAP,
>
> I assume you mean OpenLDAP 2.3.43?
>
> > and brings down my domain :\
> >
> > The error I get is: smbd[11973]:   _samr_create_user: Running the command
> > `/usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -W "fs5c1l1$"' gave 3
> >
> > and then ldap crashes:
>
> What happens if you tun that command from the command line without
> involving Samba at all?
>
> > smbd[11973]: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://127.0.0.1:
> Can't
> > contact LDAP server
> >
> > Can anyone suggest where I start looking, I haven't been able to find
> what
> > "gave 3" means, I've got a new user waiting for their laptop, and can't
> get
> > it on the domain.
>
> The "gave 3" thing is more probably the exit status of the
> smbldap-useradd command.  You'd have to check its documentation to see
> what that means.
>
> Samba, smbldap-useradd, etc. should not be able to crash the LDAP
> server.  If it does, it is a bug in the LDAP server and you should
> probably look in its log files and contact the OpenLDAP mailing
> list(s) about it.
>
> --
> Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>

--