Adding machine to domain crashes LDAP (smbldap-useradd)

Chris Beach chrisb at pintys.com
Tue Jan 11 07:57:30 MST 2011

I apologize if this shouldn't be posted on the samba mailing list, I figured
it's more appropriate here then LDAP, but maybe not.

When I try and add a machine to my Domain (just upgraded the domain
controller to samba 3.3.14, with LDAP 2.3.43 as back-end) it crashes LDAP,
and brings down my domain :\

The error I get is: smbd[11973]:   _samr_create_user: Running the command
`/usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -W "fs5c1l1$"' gave 3

and then ldap crashes:

smbd[11973]: nss_ldap: failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://127.0.0.1: Can't
contact LDAP server

Can anyone suggest where I start looking, I haven't been able to find what
"gave 3" means, I've got a new user waiting for their laptop, and can't get
it on the domain.

Thanks :)