Proposal: Split libtalloc, libtdb, libtevent and libldb into a separate upstream project

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Jan 10 15:31:19 MST 2011

Hi Stephen,

 > 1) Libtalloc, libtdb, libtevent and libldb should see upstream tarball
 > releases on a much faster basis. I will be discussing with my management
 > at Red Hat whether I can volunteer to take this responsibility on.

If we script it, then I don't think we'll need extra help to make it
happen. It should be just a matter of running the script. It may need
to prompt for a gpg passphrase, but that's about all.

 > 2) As an addendum to the above, we should look into automating the
 > release process for these libraries, based on changes to the version
 > variable in the wscript file.

you mean automatically doing a release via cron when the wscript
version changes? That would be possible, but I'm not sure its a good
idea.

Let's start with a script that is run manually, and see how that
goes. We can consider adding a cron job after manual releases have
worked for a while.

 > 3) Include git tags for each of these library releases, instead of only
 > for samba releases.

That should probably be part of the release script.

Cheers, Tridge