"a script for backuping production provision" [Was: Samba 4.0.0 alpha 14 "randomdata"]

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Tue Jan 4 11:40:34 MST 2011

On 04/01/2011 20:11, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 19:16 +0300, Matthieu Patou wrote:
>>> I assume this is source4/scripting/bin/samba_backup ? [since the script
>>> isn't named]
>>>
>>> Used like -
>>> source4 $ scripting/bin/samba_backup /opt/ad/samba4 /tmp
>> Yeah something like that although I'm not sure that /tmp is the best way
>> to save your provision ...
>>
>> Is it working ?
> It seems to assume /usr/local/samba and the directories under that
> rather than the actual directories the user is using (which may be in
> entirely different locations).
No it use /usr/local/samba by default but you can provide a different
directory.

>   Could we get it to use the related
> smb.conf options?
We could but it means that we should shift to a python based to leverage
the advantage of the python modules that we have (note that it won't
help much if you didn't put your provision in /usr/local/samba as you'll
have to provide the path to the smb.conf instead of the path where the
provision is located).
> It also seems rather arbitrary to update the sysvol share contents but
> not the contents of any of the other shares.
To update you mean to save ?
Sysvol is a very special share that's what justify the use of a
different behavior, it's of course just my point of view, but in my
production before having a global backup of the whole server I had a
backup of samba's critical part because more than once I had annoying
enough problem and at given time it was quite easy to zero GPO files so
it justified plainly for me to backup it.
Backuping the rest of my samba share means backup of severals tens of
Gig, I clearly don't want to do it every day and keep it stored on the
same server whereas a small archive from samba_backup won't use much
space and can be done quite quickly enough.

That being said, there is nothing that forbids to extend the backup of
all shares but I do think that having the possiblity not to backup all
shares but just sysvol is needed.

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou