build nightmares

Aaron Solochek aarons-samba at aberrant.org
Tue Jan 4 10:18:47 MST 2011

On 01/04/2011 11:54 AM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 10:42 -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote:

>>> Which debs did you try to install? What error did you get?
>> 4.0.0~alpha14~bzr15953~ppa174+199~maverick
>
> It looks like the daily builds have stopped for some reason, at least
> for maverick. I'll have a look.

I don't believe the build has been happening nightly for a long time.

>>> How are you building Samba 4 exactly (with what options are you running
>>> configure with?)? These symbols were renamed recently, and the version
>>> of ldb was changed so Samba would not try to use older versions of ldb.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> jelmer
>>>

>> First, I did "apt-get source samab4" and then tried dpkg-buildpackage, but that
>> fails (the details of that are in other messages in this thread), and then I
>> moved the lib and source4 directories out of the way and replaced them with
>> links to source from git, which I am current with.  That fails because I don't
>> have the latest tdb, and by default the deb build is configured with no bundled
>> libraries.  If I change that to bundle the libraries, heimdal fails with this:
> You'd need to grab tdb, talloc, tevent and ldb from the PPA as well if
> you try to build the Debian package. That should be easy enough using
> "apt-get builddep samba4".
>
> Rebuilding the package won't help you much though, it would result in
> the same package with the same build problems.
>
> Even if you get further with a build like this you'll need to make more
> changes to the package. I would recommend just installing the libraries
> from the PPA or not using the package.

So I did what I did last time, which was manually unpack the deb and install the
files so I could get it working.  Of course I didn't run upgradeprovision,
because that still fails, but at least my server is running.  I'm not sure
upgradeprovision would run anyway because I a slave samba server and last time I
tried it complained about that, but provided no easy way of demoting that server
so the provisioning could proceed.

-Aaron