build nightmares

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Jan 4 09:54:14 MST 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 10:42 -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote:
> On 01/03/2011 07:03 PM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 16:35 -0500, Aaron Solochek wrote:
> >> Ok, I've spent the day on this, which is my limit before asking for help.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to upgrade samba4 on my ubuntu system.  I saw that there were new
> >> .debs (obviously the preferred way for me to install it) but those failed to
> >> install.  Have those ever installed cleanly for anyone?  This time it was some
> >> unresolved symbol.
> > Which debs did you try to install? What error did you get?
> 4.0.0~alpha14~bzr15953~ppa174+199~maverick

It looks like the daily builds have stopped for some reason, at least
for maverick. I'll have a look.

> >> So I grabbed the source for the debs and tried to build that.
> >>
> >> I've gone through a variety of failures with this, but the current is:
> >>
> >> [2018/2188] Linking default/source4/librpc/libndr-standard.so
> >> default/source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/samba3sam_27.o:(.data.rel.ro+0x10):
> >> undefined reference to `map_search'
> >> default/source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/samba3sam_27.o:(.data.rel.ro+0x18):
> >> undefined reference to `map_add'
> >> default/source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/samba3sam_27.o:(.data.rel.ro+0x20):
> >> undefined reference to `map_modify'
> >> default/source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/samba3sam_27.o:(.data.rel.ro+0x28):
> >> undefined reference to `map_delete'
> >> default/source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/samba3sam_27.o:(.data.rel.ro+0x30):
> >> undefined reference to `map_rename'
> > How are you building Samba 4 exactly (with what options are you running
> > configure with?)? These symbols were renamed recently, and the version
> > of ldb was changed so Samba would not try to use older versions of ldb.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > jelmer
> >

> First, I did "apt-get source samab4" and then tried dpkg-buildpackage, but that
> fails (the details of that are in other messages in this thread), and then I
> moved the lib and source4 directories out of the way and replaced them with
> links to source from git, which I am current with.  That fails because I don't
> have the latest tdb, and by default the deb build is configured with no bundled
> libraries.  If I change that to bundle the libraries, heimdal fails with this:
You'd need to grab tdb, talloc, tevent and ldb from the PPA as well if
you try to build the Debian package. That should be easy enough using
"apt-get builddep samba4".

Rebuilding the package won't help you much though, it would result in
the same package with the same build problems.

Even if you get further with a build like this you'll need to make more
changes to the package. I would recommend just installing the libraries
from the PPA or not using the package.

Cheers,

Jelmer