Joining samba4 to domain as PDC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jan 2 14:06:40 MST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 13:38 -0600, Michael Wichers wrote:
> My apologies for not incluiding the forum
>
> Perhaps I'm a bit confused and uneducated by pdc vs bdc.

In Active Directory, there is still a 'PDC', but it is not nearly as
important as in NT4 domains.  It is a role that handles some of the
'there must only be one' tasks, such as the legacy PDC netbios name.

Other 'FSMO roles' include schema master, RID master etc.  For most
tasks, any DC is fully read-write.

In Microsoft's Active Directory you can also replicate the DNS server,
such that any DC can be a read/write DNS server.  This is not yet
possible with Samba4, as Samba4 does not support the in-directory DNS.
We have a prototype for this, but it isn't yet finished.

In the meantime, please just set up one DNS server, or a BIND secondary
if you feel the need for read-only redundancy.   Setting up the
secondary as a primary DNS server in the event of catastrophic hardware
failure would it seems to me be the least of your worries (setting up
the configuration for dynamic DNS manually will be fiddly, but not
impossible).

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.