using rpccli_srvsvc_NetSrvGetInfo or alternative??

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 06:24:37 MST 2011

Well, the reason for me to also query the workgroups, the servers and
the shares is that I'm working
on a construction which creates a powerfull and userfriendly
environment for the user.

This looks a lot like the setup of GoboLinux. After the user logs in
(her/his session starts) the root looks like:

/Computer
/Mounts
/Network
/System

This is done with the help of a fuse fs (fuse-workspace-ll), pamchroot
and a lot of utilties and scripts.
(like udev, at, ConsoleKit, nbtscan (or nmblookup) and smbclient,
automount, cifs)

See:

http://linux.bononline.nl/wiki/index.php/Mount.md5key

and especially

http://linux.bononline.nl/wiki/index.php/Changes_and_issues

for the latest news and screenshots.

Now, in the Network fiolder there is a map Windows Network.

At this moment the contents of this directory is determined by nbtscan
(or if not available nmblookup) and smbclient. These are run
periodically by shell scripts.
The output of these scripts is stored in a cache (a general cache of
"resource records") which is used by other scripts to build the
directories in the fuse fs.

Now, there is no direct relation "network feedback" when the user
browses the network environment.
The fuse fs just assumes the corresponding network resources (network,
workgroup, servers, shares) are just present.
I'm looking for a way to change this, by making the fs do the
detection on the network, workgroups, servers and shares. I'm looking
for a way to do this.
One way is to use the nmblookup binaries, by using popen("nmblookup
'*'") and simular.
This will probably work (I haven't tested yet) but this is sort of
expensive. Maybe it's possible to just
use library calls, doing the same, but the popen construction is not necessary.

Stef