Pseudo file system with Samba

Fri Feb 11 01:04:34 MST 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 05:50:56PM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 08:19:09PM -0500, Satish Chandra Kilaru wrote:
> > Thank you. Your words are music to my ears. :-)
>
> No problem. Your module must create a POSIX-style
> interface, where you handle open/close/read/write/pread/pwrite
> etc.
>
> Look into the files inside the examples/VFS directory
> in your Samba source code for skeleton modules you
> can base your work on, and inside source3/modules/
> for practical modules that we depend on inside
> Samba in everyday use.
>
> To use a module, check out the "vfs objects ="
> parameter in smb.conf.
>
> Note that as VFS modules are derived from Samba
> code and depend on it, they much be licensed GPLv3.

One little caveat here: The VFS interface does exist and
will do what you want, but we do not make any strict
guarantees about its stability across versions. We try our
best, but at times it needs changing. For example, the
interface has changed significantly lately: We made it
type-safe, which it was not before.

You are certainly free to keep the module private and
available to your customers (including source of course ;-)),
but it might be beneficial to you to publish it early.
Depending on how generally useful it is, it might be even
interesting for inclusion into upstream Samba.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9