Any pointer or protips on education / where to start to diagnose extended acl issues?

Paul Kölle paul at subsignal.org
Sun Feb 6 02:27:39 MST 2011

Am 03.02.2011 21:30, schrieb Hammitt, Charles Allen:

> userA has read access via an extended acl to a particular directory;
> userB has read access via an extended acl to that same directory;
>
> userA granted read access via nfs; userB granted read access via
> nfs;
>
> userA granted read access via samba; userB denied read access via
> samba;
>

> i.e. Sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't...
>
> So I guess the question is: where to start to diagnose extended acl
> issues?  I apologize for my ignorance, but this is the original
> question.
Step 1: collect information

a) show that userA,userB have correct access via NFS (getacl, cat, echo,
...)

b) show that userA,userB have incorrect access via SMB/CIFS (output of
cacls on windows client for userA,userB)

c) create a network trace when running cacls on windows or trying to
access the file via explorer.

d) enable debug logging for samba and look whats going on when you
access the files from windows.

Step 2: sent information to samba-technical
Step 3: hope for the best ;

hth
  Paul