toplevel build in master

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Fri Feb 4 04:24:14 MST 2011

Hi Metze,

 > I think that a good plan, but I'd like to make sure that the following
 > is still possible:
 >
 > - That the source3 build can build smbtorture4, without building parts
 > of source3 with waf.

my patches don't affect the existing builds - so the existing s3 waf
and autoconf builds are unchanged, as is the s4 waf build in source4.

The s4 source4/ build will be removed once it is no longer needed, and
I'll make sure that the s3 smbtorture4 build still works when I do that.

I'm hoping to then be able to start on the build of bin/smbd and
bin/nmbd in the top level without impacting existing development in
source3, until such time as its ready and we have a discussion on a
time to move across to using the top level build for all development
in master.

 > - That the source3 autoconf build uses waf directly with out the
 > configure/make wrappers
 >   to build smbtorture.

oh? Currently it calls ./configure.developer and make in source4. When
we remove the source4/ waf build, that would change to making the same
calls in the top level.

Why don't you want to use the wrappers for this?

 > So that we can still do easy cherry picks to v3-6-test, but just
 > remove the top level configure and Makefile after v3-6-test is
 > closed for developer commits and still be able to build
 > smbtorture4.

ok, I think I see what you mean. I think you may be assuming that
source4/wscript and source4/wscript_build will remain unchanged. I was
planning to remove those once we get rid of the source4/ waf
build. Keeping them will just be confusing as we move to a top level
build.

The 3.6 branch is going to need to be able to cope with changes like
this in master. Getting 4.0 out is going to require quite a few code
changes in lots of places - the patches I'm proposing now will be
pretty small compared to everything else that is bound to come up.

 > It would be really nice to finally get automated testing of the s3
 > winbindd in a s4 ad domain...

yep!

Cheers, Tridge