PB withi GPO was Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Fri Sep 3 14:32:52 MDT 2010

  On 31/08/2010 18:45, Matthieu Patou wrote:
>  Trever,
>> I am not much of a Windows person. I have been trying to get back into
>> it for a while now, so pardon me if I am not following.
>>
>> Trace? Are you meaning a Windows audit, tcpdump?
> tcpdump on the linux server : tcpdump -i ethxx host ip_of_windows -s
> 16000 -w trace_for_mat
>> 275D4171-D5C9-4DB2-9758-ABAB47BF6BD4 is the top GPO GUID. The .aas file
>> is 49D454E6-45F1-4B23-A605-7FD187ED1A0F. (I actually used to have a
>> different one, but I erased the GPO and recreated it to see if it was
>> some fluke. It was a 4xxx for the top GPO.)

Ok we found with the help and and patience of Trever the problem:

Vista was trying to access in an anonymous way the files of the GPO.
Although I'm still not sure why he wanted to do so I'm rather enclined
to think that the lack of dfs led to this behavior.

In the mean time I have found bugs in our dfs implementation that
prevented (sometimes)  w7  (and others maybe) to correctly get the dfs
referal information.

I attached a patch to this email, I'll refine him and push it to the git
tree with the according unit tests. If someone witness some strange
behavior with vista/w7 and gpo in the near future it might be
interesting to try this patch and activate dfs support with the
following stanza:

host msdfs = yes in the [general] section.

Cheers.

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou