[Samba] Samba 4 in production?

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 12:31:52 MDT 2010

On 22 October 2010 20:12, Mark Rutherford <mark at lowcountrybilling.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
> Thank you for the response.
>
> I have 2 new servers to replace our older cluster with and I am going to
> give Samba 4 a shot at it.

I'm assuming the old ones are Samba 3?  Using OpenLDAP as the backend?

> My issue so far has been user and machine accounts - I can't find any
> documentation or hints to migrate those.

Upgrades/migration from Samba 3 is not finished yet.  It is being
worked on, though.  Search the archives for mentions of myldap-pub.py
which Lukasz Zalewski has been working on.

I assume Lukasz used that script for his migration mentioned here:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-October/074031.html

> When it comes to user accounts I created one and changed the SID to the SID
> on the current domain and that worked fine.
> I did have to rejoin the machine.
> My test environment is running Samba4 as the domain controller and Samba 3
> doing the heavy lifting.

That sounds sensible to me.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>