Our success story with samba4

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Tue Oct 19 03:12:16 MDT 2010

Hi all,
This message is a testament to the great work samba team has done, but
its also an encouragement to those of you that still not sure if samba4
will work in your environment.

This semester we have moved from samba 3.0.X DC to samba4 DC for
students, and things are working great
The move was predominantly driven by switching from Windows XP to
Windows 7 desktop platform (but also by a need for proper group policy).

Our setup is quite simple and includes:

One samba4 DC (running on centos 5.5 x64) with nsd dns backend

Two samba 3.3.8 domain members (running on centos 5.5 x64) providing
file services and printing

We also have Windows Server 2003 domain member

~340 Windows 7 x64 Workstations

~1900 users, that were imported from our previous samba3 domain with
ldap back-end.

Note that we did not move entire domain, but decided to start afresh,
and existing users (and computers) were ported to the new domain.

We use group policy to deploy various settings, user profiles, software
and printers.

So, please grab samba4, start using it, report the bugs, make it even
better than it is :)

Regards

Luk