make error

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 06:29:41 MDT 2010

Hi

On 9 October 2010 08:48, Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 October 2010 23:30, Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org> wrote:
>>  On 08/10/2010 10:34, Michael Wood wrote:
>>>
>>> I suspect Rohit used the "rsync" instructions on the Samba4 HOWTO.
>>> When I tried that a few days ago it was broken.  ./autogen.sh said it
>>> was setting up for waf, but ./configure.developer actually ran the
>>> autoconf version of configure.
>>>
>> I really double checked and downloading s4 through rsync lead to a
>> autogen.sh pointing to autogen-waf.sh.
>> And the build is ok.
>
> Yes, my point is that you did not follow the rsync instructions on the
> HOWTO which specified to use samba.org::ftp/unpacked/samba_4_0_test/
> and to run ./autogen.sh (not ./autogen-waf.sh.)  You rsynced from
> samba.org::ftp/unpacked/samba_4_0_waf/, so it's not surprising you got
> different results :)
>
>> I suspect that's because the previous checkout was done with the old build
>> mode and the link was not updated.
>
> Yes, I think it's something like that.  Strangely, though,
> ./autogen.sh *did* say that it was setting up for a waf build, but
> running ./configure.developer still ran the autoconf version of
> configure.  I did not spend time on trying to figure out why that was.

I've just tested the resurrected rsync instructions on the Samba4
HOWTO page and updated them slightly as a result.

Someone appears to have fixed samba.org::ftp/unpacked/samba_4_0_test/
so that it works with ./autogen.sh and doesn't need ./autogen-waf.sh.
I've left the ./autogen-waf.sh in the HOWTO, though, since it still
works, of course, and does no harm.

The unpacked tree now appears to include all the git objects, instead
of pointing to them using .git/objects/info/alternates, so I've
removed the step that deletes that file and also the comment about
"git fetch" downloading 160MB of git history.  This is what "git
fetch" gave me:

$ git fetch
remote: Counting objects: 940, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (487/487), 82.09 KiB | 4 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (373/373), completed with 154 local objects.