make error

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 00:48:39 MDT 2010

Hi

On 8 October 2010 23:30, Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org> wrote:
>  On 08/10/2010 10:34, Michael Wood wrote:

>>> It's using the old build system.
>>>
>>> Go in source4 do:
>>> ./autogen-waf.sh
>>> ./configure.developer
>>> make -j
>>
>> I suspect Rohit used the "rsync" instructions on the Samba4 HOWTO.
>> When I tried that a few days ago it was broken.  ./autogen.sh said it
>> was setting up for waf, but ./configure.developer actually ran the
>> autoconf version of configure.
>>
> I really double checked and downloading s4 through rsync lead to a
> autogen.sh pointing to autogen-waf.sh.
> And the build is ok.

Yes, my point is that you did not follow the rsync instructions on the
HOWTO which specified to use samba.org::ftp/unpacked/samba_4_0_test/
and to run ./autogen.sh (not ./autogen-waf.sh.)  You rsynced from
samba.org::ftp/unpacked/samba_4_0_waf/, so it's not surprising you got
different results :)

> I suspect that's because the previous checkout was done with the old build
> mode and the link was not updated.

Yes, I think it's something like that.  Strangely, though,
./autogen.sh *did* say that it was setting up for a waf build, but
running ./configure.developer still ran the autoconf version of
configure.  I did not spend time on trying to figure out why that was.

So should we put back the instructions with the _waf link?  Or should
we rather wait for someone to make _test work again and then put back
the original instructions?

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>