"net -d 10" does not work anymore

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 23 13:31:12 MST 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 14:07 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 09:14:51PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Attached is what I've worked out so far, please let me know if it
> > helps, and what you think.
>
> No, sorry, does not help. My smb.conf is:

Did it help with the previous example you gave, when not using the
registry smb.conf?

I think there are multiple different issues at play here, which is why
it's quite so confusing.

> [global]
> debug level = 1
> include = registry
>
> I'm doing a "bin/net conf list -d 10" and the output I'm
> getting is
>
> ... debug level 10 stuff ...
>
> params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file "/home/vlendec/git/inst/lib/smb.conf"
> Processing section "[global]"
> doing parameter debug level = 1
> [global]
>         winbind rpc only = yes
>         security = domain
>         workgroup = w2k3ad
>
> vlendec at host:~/git/stage/source3 >

Without include=registry, I get the full level 10 for the full operation
of the command (as far as I can see).  Can you give me a quick guide as
to how to set up the registry smb.conf backend?

I'm thinking that this isn't an issue with the debug changes, but more
with the lp_set_option()/lp_set_cmdline() changes made earlier, on which
it depends.  It appears that somehow (and I'm yet to determine exactly
how) the command line options are erased when loading the registry
smb.conf database.

There separately remains the issue of 'command line options' vs
'code-level overrides' (such as are in the command line utilities and
libsmbclient/libnet for debug level) that both need to override the
smb.conf, but need to have a priority order in themselves.

At the moment, this is dealt with simply by calling order (just as the
old DEBUGLEVEL assignment was), but this may be too subtle.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.