wintest for testing Samba against windows

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Fri Nov 19 11:05:26 MST 2010

I've done some work testing windows against samba servers.

I found that a cygwin ssh (and I guess windows telnet) client session
didn't and couldn't share the same mapped drives as a logged in windows
session for the same user.

This makes it hard to do explorer.exe and scripted COM application testing.

Another similar approach that I've used is a daemon (maybe python) that
gets launched as part of the login script that then listens for commands.
(You can login with rdp entirely on the command line and have the login
script launch the daemon to take it from there).

For controlling explorer.exe or notepad to do tests, I used a patched
Win32::Test from perl to send window messages and select menu choices,
press buttons, etc.

Sam