Changing source3 to GNU Make (was Re: Commit 086c6c0e9a56f7e6dca6c1398e210b8c6225e4ed)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed May 26 17:10:22 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 22:39 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:28:27PM +0200, Björn JACKE wrote:
> > the changed version of this commit doesn't do what the previous one did and
> > breaks some builds like the one on Tru64. In the worst case others might have
> > silently broken thread support now. The previous version was intended to set
> > CFLAGS for the compiles of certain object files that need it. Other object
> > files may not have that CFLAGS, that's why it's not allowed to set them
> > globally. I know that this was written in a GNU make fashion but we had known
> > GNU make dependencies also on other places in the past. I'd love to write this
> > object file based CFLAGS up in a non GNU way but I don't know how. Before we
> > end up with broken thread support I'd propose to reintroduce the gmake
> > dependency again (at least for now...).
>
> Well, then revert it. Then we just quit supporting non-gnu
> make. Not fine by me, but if it is necessary, then we need
> to do it.

If we do make this policy change, it might be worth finding the logic
that the source4 code had in it's autoconf build to try and find gmake,
and write out a 'Makefile' that calls gmake on GNUMakefile (or whatever
the trick was exactly).

At least, we should have some clear message printed that only GNU Make
is supported, as otherwise some poor sysadmin won't know and will try to
debug what I presume presents itself as an obscure syntax error...

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.