Disabling of "wide links" violates "principle of least surprise"

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sun May 9 11:13:25 MDT 2010

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 02:10:23PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Just to make sure I understand you right: You want Samba to
> report and follow existing wide links but not allow setting
> them at all from the client if wide links are enabled? This
> might indeed be a compromise. Jeremy should comment here.

Actually we already considered and rejected this option
when we were discussing what to do. It breaks unix extensions
in that all of a sudden parts of them don't work. Whereas the
wide links option has been there for a long time and is well
understood. The choice was to make 2 options incompatible,
or subtly break the internals of one option that a lot of
people use to store their home directories. Making 2 options
incompatible is a better choice (IMHO).

Jeremy.