Disabling of "wide links" violates "principle of least surprise"

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Sat May 8 07:51:02 MDT 2010

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 02:10:23PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Unfortunately as a daemon Samba is not able to pop up a message after
> an upgrade to warn users about possible changes, so we have to rely on
> people reading release notes.

Actually we can do popups, almost. Samba could create a virtual share
readable by users with admin rights called $$ADMINISTRATOR-README-NOW$$
in unusual cases such as this.

Content for the share could be created with a new DEBUG() level
from within any piece of Samba code, and would presumably usually be a
line of text and a URL.  This would differ from release notes in that it
would only be created if the *code* had reason to think something
surprising actually was happening, as opposed to us warning that
something possibly might happen. Release notes and log files cover most
upgrade situations. There may be non-upgrade uses for this share too.