Disabling of "wide links" violates "principle of least surprise"

Alain Knaff (Samba Lists) alain.knaff.samba at misc.lka.org.lu
Sat May 8 05:51:57 MDT 2010

Hello Christian,

On 05/08/2010 01:20 PM, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> (from samba-technical)
>
> Quoting Volker Lendecke (Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE):
>
>>> 2. or, if above is too complicated to implement, make it so that more
>>> well-known, or older options (that are more likely to be in wide,
>>> wanted, use) have priority over the new and more obscure options.
>>
>> This is a bit hard to argue into either direction. We don't
>> really know which of the options are more popular. We had to
>> break someones setup, sorry that it hit you.
>

> As distro packagers, we may try adding a NEWS entry (for .deb-based
> distros, that would be in NEWS.Debian) explaining the possible issue.
>
> That's obviously too late for Ubuntu, I'm afraid, but it's still time
> for Debian in order to avoid same problems for users upgrading from
> lenny to squeeze.

After having unfortunately sat for some time on this bug report (due to
other commitments...), I'm glad that to hear that I'm not too late for
Debian, so at least we can save these users some grief :-)

Also, what made this situation particularly bad in the Ubuntu case was
that we didn't do a major upgrade (such as from 8.04 to 10.04, where
such breakage might be expected), but only a *minor* apt-get upgrade, to
get just the security fixes and incremental patches.

Thanks,

Alain