Disabling of "wide links" violates "principle of least surprise"

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Sat May 8 05:20:05 MDT 2010

(from samba-technical)

Quoting Volker Lendecke (Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE):

> > 2. or, if above is too complicated to implement, make it so that more
> > well-known, or older options (that are more likely to be in wide,
> > wanted, use) have priority over the new and more obscure options.
>
> This is a bit hard to argue into either direction. We don't
> really know which of the options are more popular. We had to
> break someones setup, sorry that it hit you.

As distro packagers, we may try adding a NEWS entry (for .deb-based
distros, that would be in NEWS.Debian) explaining the possible issue.

That's obviously too late for Ubuntu, I'm afraid, but it's still time
for Debian in order to avoid same problems for users upgrading from
lenny to squeeze.