Samba4 on python-dnspython

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 18 22:55:10 MDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 17:12 +0200, Sassy Natan wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I want to make sure that it is ok to use dnspython from the original web
> site and not using dnspython which is located under the samba4 source tree.
> I'm not sure about it since Samba might did some code modifications on it so
> if anyone can provide some more info about it, it will be great,.

It is perfectly OK to use the dnspython from your system, or one you
downloaded yourself.  We only bundle and use it if your system does not
have it, and take pains to ensure we don't make it available to the rest
of the system.

> One more issue I have in mind is that if the DNS server must be install on
> the same host/server  samba4  is installed.
> During the provisioning I saw we are using the rndc command - and I
> wonderwhat If i want to have a DNS on anther server from samba4? I know it
> is possible, but maybe I miss something if I do so.

If another host is used for DNS, then some things will not be as
automatic, but otherwise it will work fine.   You will have to get the
keytab to the DNS server, and configure it correctly.

Be warned however that this is harder than it looks, which is why we
automate it.  We recommend that you do things in the way suggest,
because that exact setup is what we have debugged and tested.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.