iPad libsmbclient app

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Jun 14 09:25:35 MDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 15:43 +0100, Ben Gould wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Due to the lack of connectivity choices on the iPad I've written a
> small file transfer program to allow me to copy and then open
> documents from network shares in my workplace.  At the moment the UI
> is very basic; the features I need are there and I will be spending
> the next fortnight tidying this up.
>
> I would like to share it for free via the App Store, but I notice that
> there have been some issues with GLPv3 software, the FSF and Apple
> owing to the DRM clause in GPLv3 and the end-users inability to copy
> software - resulting in software being removed.
>
> Does anyone have any objections to publishing this?
>
> Would samba.org like to host the source-code for this small app once
> its ready for distribution?
>
> Would samba.org like to be the publisher (in the App Store listing) of
> this software?  My personal contribution is minimal...  yours isn't.
>
> Please contact me off-list for further details, source-code or a
> temporary binary and provisioning profile if you aren't a paid-up
> iPhone developer and would like to test this on iPad.

Hello Ben,
apparently the terms of service of the Apple store are incompatible with
the GNU GPL license. So it is unlikely you can push your app through the
store and still adhere to the requirements of the license.

If you like to, we can probably publish your source code (excluding
anything that you cannot freely redistribute under the terms of the
Apple SDK) on samba.org so that other people that have an Apple SDK can
build the application themselves.

I don't think we can do more than that with the current Apple policies
in place.

Regards,
Simo.

--