passwords.py patch

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mdw at samba.org
Thu Jul 1 09:33:02 MDT 2010

Hi Nadya,

Nadezhda Ivanova wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
> As I explained, you are correct but I do not have the time currently
> to adapt all the tests this way, but we have to start somewhere.  And
> the need for it is that I lost half a day wandering what the hell is
> going on and why I cant run the tests against Windows. Before that was
> the same with dsHeuristics. Things like that make shared effort very
> difficult. Since you dont like it as it is, I will not push the patch,
> but I will make the acl.py work this way, because I believe that using
> a previously modified installation can warp test results, and every
> test should do its own required configuration. I will let you fix
> passwords.py in a way you feel suitable after I push the ACL fix.
Well regarding the "dsHeuristics" - I needed more than one day to figure
out how they exactly do work. And the "minPwdAge" I encountered earlier
when working on the "password_hash" LDB module so I immediately knew
what to change on Windows Server.
> About the access rights:
> Nope, the test still does not pass against Samba 4, I have not pushed
> the ACL patch yet. Before I do that I take a lot of time to understand
> the proper behavior, as this is a tricky area. That is why I bother
> with passwords.py. I did the small change you describe against
> Windows, and the negative test failed with insufficient access rights
> instead of unwilling to perform. And I really can't see how this can
> be another configuration issue. Have you run them against Windows with
> testuser instead of Administrator?
Yeah, there were errors against Windows Server. The problem is due to
enhancements of the testsuite after testing against Windows Server - and
forgot to retest. I've discovered (as you will have too) that on some
instances there is returned ACCESS_DENIED. I push a patch which adds
them in a commented out manner which I or you will activate when the ACL
changes do land in "master".

Greets, Matthias