Remote Administration Protocol protocol (RAP / Lanman) over SMB2

Fri Feb 26 08:12:15 MST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:02:29PM -0800, Daniel Ng wrote:
> I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.  If you
> know a better location, please feel free to redirect me.  Thanks in
> advance.
>
> I am asked to upgrade my company's existing smb server implementation
> to support SMB2.  This is a proprietary code which only supports smb1
> and Remote Administration Protocol protocol (RAP / Lanman).  It does
> not have WKSSVC & SRVSVC services which are being used in SMB2
> communications between Vista & Win7 stations.   This server was
> probably developed back in Windows NT era.

Guessing from the subject: I really doubt that RAP is still
supported over SMB2. You will have to do DCERPC sooner or
later, I just heard a couple of days ago that the Windows
client code does not do RAP at all anymore in latest Windows
versions.

Volker