how can i backup my whole active directory database from samba

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Thu Aug 26 13:56:39 MDT 2010

  On 25/08/2010 15:17, Michael Wood wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 25 August 2010 12:53, hesam mohamadian<hesam.mohamadian at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> sorry Micheal for my writting , my question is upgrade from samba4
>> alpha9+OpenLDAP to samba4 alpha11+LDB?
> As I said, I think it would be better to ask this question on the
> samba-technical mailing list, which I have copied.

You can't for the moment.
>> i have samba 4 alpha 9 Active Directory that windows client can join to it
>> and i download samba4 alpha11.tar.gz from samba site and i want to upgrade
>> my samba4 alpha 9 to samba4 alpha 11 without loosing any data and
>> configuration like user passwords , policies and ... what should i exactly
>> do
>> Thank you so much
> Maybe the upgrade-provision script will work for you, but I don't know
> for sure.  Also, it might be best if you use the latest version from
> GIT instead of the alpha11.tar.gz.
Upgrade from openldap is not supported (yet) there is a couple of
technical challenges. I might start a tool to migrate from openldap
backend to tdb backend but for the moment it's just a project (and as
I'm not 100% concerned I have some difficulties to focus on it).

In theory moving from openldap to ldb would mean just to replace the
reference provision with the openldap one and have a virgin provision as
the target one. But still there is the unicode password challenge.

If someone as the will and the need for the ol->tdb tool I can help him
and assist him, it would be quicker than wait for me to do the tool :-)!

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org