[Samba] samba 4 questions (status, roaming profiles, etc)

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Thu Aug 26 13:45:42 MDT 2010

  On 25/08/2010 14:11, Michael Wood wrote:
> On 24 August 2010 15:57, Aaron Solochek<aarons-samba at aberrant.org>  wrote:
>> I'm testing samba 4 (pulling from git) on my ubuntu 10.4 box and have a
>> bunch of questions I can't seem to find answers for on the web.
>>
>> 1) There is some problem with my roaming profile such that windows
>> complains and logs me in using my most recently saved profile.  I've
>> tried moving my profile on the server out of the way, but windows
>> doesn't seem to recreate it.  How do I make it recreate a roaming
>> profile?  The client is windows 7.,

Have you set the parameters correctly (through aduc for instance) for
the roaming to work ?
>> 2) My AD domain is FOO.COM, but the actual domain internally is
>> bar.foo.com.  I ran into some issues with this, this biggest of which
>> was that clients would try to pull their group policy from
>> //FOO.COM/sysvol/foo.com/... which meant that the server needed to be
>> exposed externally.  I solved this by having foo.com resolve to the
>> local IP internally, but I was wondering if there is some more elegant
>> way to tell clients that the controller for FOO.COM is<some arbitrary
>> host>  for these purposes.  Also, am I going to run into other pain by
>> having a flat AD domain scheme?  Creating a BAR.FOO.COM domain seems
>> like it would be a pain at this point.
No, windows client are programmed to search for ressource on
\\dns_name_of_ad\sysvol\dns_name_of_ad ...

It's possible to have the same name inside and outside (I run an AD like
that) but I would not recommend it's better to have either a subdomain
or even better a separate domain (ie. mycompanycom.corp).
>> 3) What is the status of printing in samba4?  The most recent thing I
>> could find online was from 2005 and said it wasn't implemented yet.  All
>> our printers are IP printers, and my goal is to have them automatically
>> added to machines via group policy.
Printing do not work with s4 you need a samba3 server to be member of
the domain then gpo for printing works like a charm.
>> 4) What's the deal with the Users and Computers sections of group policy
>> objects?  If I already have my users and computers separated into People
>> and Machines groups in active directory, and have two group policy
>> objects People_GP and Machines_GP applied to their respective groups,
>> will settings in the Users section of Machines_GP apply to any user that
>> logs in to a machine in the Machines group?
Yes, but first you should test and I recommend to get AD related help in
pure MS forums or newsgroup (or books).
>> 5) Where can I find all the smb.conf options that are actually valid for
>> samba4?
> Have a look at parm_table in source4/param/loadparm.c.
testparm -v
>> 6) I can't seem to edit the unix attributes for users in AD.  I'd really
>> like to be able to pull account information down via ldap on unix
>> machines.  Is this possible?
>>
>> Ok, I think that's enough for now.  I really appreciate any help people
>> can offer.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Aaron
> Sorry, I can't help with most of your questions.  :)

Matthieu.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org