Issues in compiling samba-3.5.4 from source

Thu Aug 19 04:24:02 MDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 03:48:15PM +0530, Abhinav Gupta3 wrote:
> Sorry for missing out on the CC list.
>
> After copying the modules to /usr/lib and replacing the samba binaries in
> /usr/sbin with the new ones, I get the following -
>
> lf9:/usr/local/sbin# smbstatus -V
> Version 3.5.4
> lf9:/usr/local/sbin# smbcontrol smbd start
> Can't find pid for destination 'smbd'
> lf9:/usr/local/sbin# smbcontrol /usr/local/sbin/smbd start
> Can't find pid for destination '/usr/local/sbin/smbd'
> lf9:/usr/local/sbin# ls
> nmbd*      smbd*      swat*      winbindd*

smbcontrol is for controlling already running processes. You
need to start smbd with

/usr/local/sbin/smbd -D

or add it to your AIX initialization procedure. The latter
is pretty AIX specific, so I can't be of much help there.

Volker