Employment: Samba/CIFS/AD open source opportunity

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Aug 12 10:43:33 MDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:09:20PM +0400, Matthieu Patou wrote:
>  Hello Garret,
>
> It's a bit late that I'm reacting on this email but better late than never !
>
> So I'm clearly interessted to change my job within the 6/8 next
> months because I would have finish what was planned for it (I'm
> currently IT manager for a sub of a EADS/Eurocopter).
>
> My specialty in samba is much more oriented towards AD protocols
> than the SMB/CIFS (which are more related to the core of your
> business), but I guess that nothing is impossible !
>
> If you want to know more please feel free to ask.
>
> On 04/07/2010 10:34, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> >(I apologize if this is considered off topic -- I'm not sure where else
> >I could post this where it would be seen by the appropriate folks with
> >SMB/CIFS/AD expertise.  I promise not to repost -- and if there is a
> >better way to reach these individuals then I would welcome advice.)
> >
> >I am looking for one or more engineers with expertise working with open
> >source kernels and the Microsoft SMB/CIFS/AD protocols (at the
> >implementation/code level) to join our team to help improve and support
> >an open source implementation of these protocols.  (We actually have two
> >such implementations, one based on Samba, and one that is more internal
> >to our kernel.  Both are 100% open source.  We are a company founded
> >upon and committed to further development of open source solutions.)
> >
> >Interested parties should respond to me directly for more information.

Oh, this is the Sun/Solaris based thing ! Trouble is, the kernel-based
implementation is under the Sun CDDL license, which, although copyleft,
is completely incompatible with any other license (especailly the GPL,
in fact - *by design* the GPL :-).

It's a bit of a licensing ghetto for anyone used to working on most
other Free Software IMHO.

Jeremy.