status of the s4 waf build - go to stage 3?

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri Apr 23 05:37:36 MDT 2010

Andrew Bartlett schrieb:
> On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 12:59 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
>> Hi Tridge,
>>
>>> Most developers building s4 now seem to have switched to the waf
>>> build and everyone seems to be pretty happy with it.
>>>
>>> At this stage it may make sense to go to "stage 3" for use of waf in
>>> Samba4 (as per the original proposal). That would mean:
>> We still have a few missing features, we need to fix.
>
> Which features are those?  As far as I can tell, every Samba4 developer
> is already using the waf build, and the old one is rotting fast.  What
> is gained by holding up the change?

The most important for me are:

- missing yacc, lex rules (with the same strict check as in the autoconf
  build)

- waf build should (by default )give an error if a reconfigure.
  optional auto reconfigure isn't strictly needed.
  If we don't add that, developers could get to a stage (after a git
  pull) where the 'waf build' and 'make' will just display a very
  confusing error, which they don't now how to handle without a
  git clean -x -d -f or waf distclean (I guess waf clean would not
  help).

> I would like to make a new alpha with the waf build soon, so we need to
> change the default as soon as possible.
>
>> Yes, we should maintain both for a while.
>
> Why?  (Particularly if we have decided to abandon the merged build in
> the short term).

I think we need to at least maintain it until waf has fixed the missing
features.

metze