[RFC] Get rid of --enable-merged ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 23 05:02:02 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 10:27 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Volker Lendecke schrieb:
> > On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 07:43:15AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >> I really want us to get to the point where the merged build is the only
> >> build.  That way, when I make a change to Samba4 and run 'make test' the
> >> Samba3 winbind is connected and we check it all still works.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be possible to start the merged build from the
> > source4/ waf build and compile the components that you want
> > tested from the source4 make test?
>
> That doesn't sound too bad for an intermediate solution :-)
> I would like that.

It's fine by me.  I would prefer we don't end up needing to maintain two
build systems for the source3/ code, so I hope that Samba3 adopts the
waf build when Kai finishes it.  Either way I guess it's not much
different to the existing 's3/s4/merged' challenge.

In the medium term I'm a little concerned that we may loose merged
build, and not find someone with the time to re-add it, or loose it as a
goal.  But I won't let these fears get in the way.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.